• Mitosis is division of the nucleus into two genetically identical daughter nuclei.
• Chromosomes condense by supercoiling during mitosis.
• Cytokinesis occurs after mitosis and is different in plant and animal cells.
• Interphase is a very active phase of the cell cycle with many processes
occurring in the nucleus and cytoplasm.
• Cyclins are involved in the control of the cell cycle.
• The sequence of events in the four phases of mitosis should be known.
• Skill: Identification of phases of mitosis in cells viewed with a microscope or in
a micrograph. Click on the button to view the phases of mitosis.
Mutagens, oncogenes and metastasis are involved in the development of primary and secondary tumors.
Applications and skills:
• Application: The correlation between smoking and incidence of cancers.
Research the above correlation - how does smoking contribute to the incidence of cancers?
Mitotic Index - MUST DO!
Skill: Determination of a mitotic index from a micrograph.
Chromatids vs chromosomes
To avoid confusion in terminology, refer to the two parts of a chromosome as sister chromatids, while they are attached to
each other by a centromere in the early stages of mitosis. From anaphase
onwards, when sister chromatids have separated to form individual structures, they should be referred to as chromosomes.
Becoming multicellular - why is this significant? What does it allow for an organism?
Every once in a while, a story comes through 60 Minutes that has the potential to change lives. Scott Pelley's report on a new medical treatment using the polio virus to kill cancer is that kind of story.
Cancer affects animals as well. Learn how the Tasmanian Devil population has been decimated by cancer.